- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10:
- Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\windows_username\Application Data\Skype\skype_username
A faster way to open your profile folder (regardless of the operating system):
- Press the key combination Win+R
%appdata%\skype\skype_usernameand press Enter
As a rule, even after the uninstallation or reinstallation of a Skype, the profile folder is not removed, which is very convenient, because you don’t need to back up every time you want to delete or update Skype. However, this folder is deleted when reinstalling Windows, formatting the hard disk and deleting Skype with the help of special tools (i.e., you don’t use a built-in component of Windows “Programs and Features”). Also, the folder may be damaged in the case of failure of the hard drives, infection by malicious computer programs or other “non-standard” situations that manifest themselves in the most unexpected moment.
How to create a backup?
- Close Skype
- Open the profile folder
- Copy all the contents in a safe place (such as an external drive)
NOTE! Don’t store these data on the system disk in any case.
How to restore data?
- Close Skype
- Make a backup profile
- Remove all the folders and files from the current profile folder
- Copy all the contents from a safe place in your profile folder
Are you bound to back up?It all depends on how important the history of your correspondence for a period more than 30 days from now is for you. Imagine that in a month you won’t be able to see the messages and files that have been sent and received until today. Is it critical for you?
- If the answer is “yes, it is”, you definitely need to make backups
- If the answer is “I don’t know”, I highly recommend backing up
- If the answer is “no, it isn’t”, take a cup of tea and think a little more
- If the answer is “I’m sure that it isn’t”, it seems you really don’t need backups
How often should you make backups?Every day (not once per month, as some people erroneously advised).
Do you need all the files from the profile folder?In fact, most of them are not necessary, but in order not to confuse inexperienced users, I recommend saving all the files. If you want to get rid of unnecessary files, don’t copy the following folders: